We work to help all children participate with their peers and their families in all the activities available to them in community and home life. We work closely with families to identify the goals for their child that are important to them.
If you have concerns about your child’s development in the following areas, we can help:
- Communication Prior to Talking – Eye contact, pointing and using gestures, early babbling
- Understanding – Following directions, responding to questions
- Talking – Using words, combining words, saying sounds clearly
- Eating – Gagging or choking, difficulty starting solids, picky eating
- Sensory Concerns – Sensitivity to sounds/tastes/touch
We offer these services:
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy (some with parent participation)
- Parent education
- Community education
- Home, community or Centre-based visits
Note: Speech therapy services in some areas are provided in conjunction with the Interior Health Authority (IHA) Penticton Health Centre. Referrals for speech therapy can be made at either the Child Development Centre or the Health Centre.
Referrals may be made to the SLP team by filling out a South Okanagan & Similkameen Early Childhood Services referral form. Forms are available from your doctor’s office, public health nurses, Ministry of Children & Family Development office, Infant Development Program, at the Child Development Centre, or here:
We have a long waitlist for services, so please refer early. Children are prioritized for service by date of referral, and some with urgent needs are seen sooner.